forums.grahamcoxon.co.uk Forum Index forums.grahamcoxon.co.uk
Happiness in A+E
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what are we doing here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.grahamcoxon.co.uk Forum Index -> Free For All
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nutta



Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 1721
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve wrote:
Nutta wrote:
Am I the only person who hates the word 'fan'?? That conjures up images of fainting schoolgirls waving autograph books and throwing their knickers at people.

I don't even remember quite how I ended up here, obviously through an interest in Graham's music, and then I ended up meeting some really great people, a few in 'real' life, whatever that is.

I mainly keep in touch with those people via Fb now, and I admit I don't come here often now as it just doesn't seem to be quite as buzzy as it used to. I used to like things like the Brit Awards running commentary we used to all have going, was fun.


I think most fans would have found the forum from a link on the website. It is interesting what you say though. This is not directed at you because at least you come back and still show your face and post from time to time. This is more for the people who have used this forum in the past to meet people and develop friendships, do you not have any sense of loyalty to the community that gave you the opportunity in the first place?

Or is that an outdated thing in this modern world where it is all about take?...


Interesting points. I imagine it's a bit like going to a pub and meeting some people and for a while you all frequent the same pub because there's a lot going on and it feels like home. Then a couple of people stop turning up coz they have other commitments and things get a bit quiet and you find yourself not dropping in as much because it doesn't feel the same.
Then you find out that the majority of your original pub friends have started drinking in another pub because perhaps it's more local or easier to access or whatever, so you start going there.
You know one or two of your old pub mates are back in the old pub from time to time, but the longer you stay away, the more like a stranger you feel when you do return.
You wouldn't necessarily go and sit on your own in the corner of an old pub you met your friends in, just because you feel you should have some loyalty for the place.

These are just musings, of course.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
steve



Joined: 24 May 2004
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutta wrote:
Interesting points. I imagine it's a bit like going to a pub and meeting some people and for a while you all frequent the same pub because there's a lot going on and it feels like home. Then a couple of people stop turning up coz they have other commitments and things get a bit quiet and you find yourself not dropping in as much because it doesn't feel the same.
Then you find out that the majority of your original pub friends have started drinking in another pub because perhaps it's more local or easier to access or whatever, so you start going there.
You know one or two of your old pub mates are back in the old pub from time to time, but the longer you stay away, the more like a stranger you feel when you do return.
You wouldn't necessarily go and sit on your own in the corner of an old pub you met your friends in, just because you feel you should have some loyalty for the place.

These are just musings, of course.


It's good to get your view on this. I agree with some of what you said but the difference being that there are many pubs but there is only one Graham Coxon Forum. This was the place to be if you wanted to make contact and become friends with other like minded people. Without the forum that would not have been possible.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steve



Joined: 24 May 2004
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsy07 wrote:
Fogg wrote:
steve wrote:
Seriously, if you are no longer a teenager and you are still having fantasies about Graham Coxon then you need to get some treatment.


That's funny.



It is Laughing Laughing how did I miss that line? Laughing


Laughing I wasn't saying anyone over 50 is on the scrapheap. Lets be honest he's no Harry Styles Laughing

If Graham was walking down the street I doubt he would get a second glance but tell them he's the guitarist from Blur and that will alter people's opinion. That is just human nature. To have fantasies about him now you must have a vision of him in his 20's otherwise you need to get some treatment. Just like if I was to have fantasies about Debbie Harry it would be from the late 70's not now... Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jakob



Joined: 28 Aug 2007
Posts: 2389

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ey, don't bag on debbie
_________________
there are 10 kinds of people in this world.
those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gypsy07



Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 571
Location: Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve wrote:
To have fantasies about him now you must have a vision of him in his 20's otherwise you need to get some treatment. Just like if I was to have fantasies about Debbie Harry it would be from the late 70's not now... Laughing


This is a fundamental difference between men and women though. Us women can and do find older guys attractive whereas men seem incapable of seeing beauty in a woman past 30 Laughing

And don't give me the excuse that "men age better" because the amount of bald patches and beer bellies I see in men my age (and younger) is staggering, they still think they are the cream of the crop though! Laughing

I still think your "need treatment" comment is a tad harsh! But not as harsh as comparing him - unfavourably - to Harry Styles Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fogg



Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Posts: 712

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsy07 wrote:


This is a fundamental difference between men and women though. Us women can and do find older guys attractive whereas men seem incapable of seeing beauty in a woman past 30 Laughing


That's a survival of the species thing. If we were wired to have an innate attraction to old biddies there wouldn't be many midwives.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gypsy07



Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 571
Location: Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fogg wrote:
Gypsy07 wrote:


This is a fundamental difference between men and women though. Us women can and do find older guys attractive whereas men seem incapable of seeing beauty in a woman past 30 Laughing


That's a survival of the species thing. If we were wired to have an innate attraction to old biddies there wouldn't be many midwives.


I'm not condemning it. I like young(er) guys as much as the next girl/guy. Ermm... I chalk it up to my instinct to procreate too Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Introvert



Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 1905

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a crush list. Albert Einstein is on it. Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber was on it for a time, but that morphed into a Professor Snape oogly schoolgirl full-blown monster! When I first heard the opening strains of Chemical World in 1994 I had an instant crush on the song, the band, and the guitarist, although I had no idea who that was. Crushing is all right until it becomes stalking-level infatuation. Graham is nerdy cute and ultra talented. He deserves some formidable crushing! As long as it's from afar.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mishmosh



Joined: 23 Jul 2011
Posts: 1242
Location: Formerly Ubermensch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fogg wrote:
Gypsy07 wrote:


This is a fundamental difference between men and women though. Us women can and do find older guys attractive whereas men seem incapable of seeing beauty in a woman past 30 Laughing


That's a survival of the species thing. If we were wired to have an innate attraction to old biddies there wouldn't be many midwives.


Thanks for your valuable insight, Donald Trump!!

Welcome back, Intro! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steve



Joined: 24 May 2004
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm loving this thread... lets talk about about sex baby lets talk about you and me lets talk about all the good things and the bad things...Laughing

and to keep the lurkers happy ... what was the first Coxon album you bought?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bronwyn



Joined: 28 Jul 2005
Posts: 12958
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not ageing too badly, I know the best areas to keep covered Laughing himself turned 40 recently and is still attractive.
my first coxon album was coxon's first album, the sky is too high.
_________________


total buggers you lot!!! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Introvert



Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 1905

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SALT 'N' PEPA? Fer realz?

That aside, my first Coxon album was Happiness, then I purchased the others, either at indie record shops or online. Happiness seemed to be the only album available on site at major retailers. I bought my copy at Barnes and Noble. My favorite song on that album is Ribbons and Leaves followed by Don't Be a Stranger.

I also like coconut cream pie.

And, the Peregrine falcon is my favorite raptor.

But, crows rock, too.

S'all good. Damn.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bronwyn



Joined: 28 Jul 2005
Posts: 12958
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crows are awesome, theres lots in our estate, some nesting at the edge of our roof Smile
_________________


total buggers you lot!!! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steve



Joined: 24 May 2004
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Introvert wrote:

That aside, my first Coxon album was Happiness, then I purchased the others, either at indie record shops or online.


why did you decide to buy it?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steve



Joined: 24 May 2004
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronwyn wrote:

my first coxon album was coxon's first album, the sky is too high.


same for me. i've not listened to that album in a long time. it does have some good songs on it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.grahamcoxon.co.uk Forum Index -> Free For All All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group